Prepare For Spring Storms in Portage County
Spring season is here in Portage County. Green grass, colorful flowers, and relaxing rain showers. Consider the tips below to take safe steps when dangerous weather is predicted.
- Download the free Red Cross tornado app. This app puts everything you need to know to stay safe in a tornado at your fingertips.
- Pick a safe room in your home where you can gather if a tornado is headed your way: a basement, storm cellar or interior room on the lowest floor with no windows.
- Prepare for strong winds by removing diseased and damaged limbs from trees.
- Move or secure lawn furniture or anything else that can be picked up by the wind.
- Know the tornado danger signs: dark, often greenish clouds, a wall cloud, cloud of debris, large hail, and a funnel cloud and take shelter immediately.
- Watch for storm signs like darkening skies, flashes of lightning or increasing winds and take shelter immediately.
- Postpone any outdoor activities if there are thunderstorms of any kind.
- Anyone should be prepared to evacuate at a moment’s notice and head for higher ground when a flood or flash flood warning is issued.
- If you come upon a flowing stream where water is above your ankles, stop, turn around and go another way.
We hope that you stay safe in the spring months of Portage County. Should you have any damage from storms this spring we are here to help! Call SERVPRO of Portage County (330) 677-4483.